Why hobbit food you ask?

Have you ever wondered what hobbits eat? This question never occurred to us until one Sunday night where we used left over boiled, mashed up tubers to cover a hard boiled egg. We took this concept from a Guyanese dish known as Egg Ball. Which really is a hard boiled egg covered in a single root called cassava. After we fried up these tuber balls and were sitting down to devour them Tony said, "Sara, you cook like a hobbit and it's awesome" which then turned these tuber balls into hobbit balls. This also got us thinking, "what else have we cooked that's been inspired through the use of local ingredients and cuisine?" From this our blog was born. But if you're actually looking for foods that hobbits eat you won't find them here. But we do hope you enjoy our creations!

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Pumpkin: It's What's for Dinner...

...& lunch & breakfast, & even dessert.

I've had pumpkin in every meal today I love it! (Bare with me if you're not a huge pumpkin fan).


Lunch

Tuna mixed with celery, garlic, onion, tomatoes, carrots and pumpkin, a little salt & pepper & and lemon juice
I just threw everything together in the kahari. I enjoyed it a lot!



Dinner:
Pumpkin, Carrot, Ginger, Coconut Soup

So with all the pureed pumpkin I have sitting around I was just going to make a pumpkin-banana smoothie but I wasn't craving that I was craving more roti. What goes well with roti? Soup. And I got to make something new!

1 cup pureed pumpkin
1/2 cup grated carrots
2 t. grated coconut
2 cloves garlic (diced)
1 inch ginger (diced)

That's it!

I placed everything in my blender to mix and chop things more finely.


Then threw in a sauce pan to heat.

So easy & delish!
I added wheat germ in my flour to make roti


Dessert:
NO Bake Oatmeal-Peanut Butter Pumpkin Topped Cookies

Sugar
Butter
Milk
Pinch of salt
1 Tbsp Peanut butter
½ t. Vanilla
Oats

Heat milk, sugar, butter, & salt bring to a boil for one minute.
Stir in peanut butter, oats & vanilla. Let it thicken and then scoop rounds out on to cookie sheet or cutting board.

Pumpkin topping:
Heat sugar with a very little bit of butter
Stirring well until mixture turns to a liquid and brown, add a little pureed pumpkin and mix. I even add a little shredded coconut.
Top over cookies and place cookie in the fridge to settle.

This little guys are yummy!

~Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment