Why hobbit food you ask?

Have you ever wondered what hobbits eat? This question never occurred to us until one Sunday night where we used left over boiled, mashed up tubers to cover a hard boiled egg. We took this concept from a Guyanese dish known as Egg Ball. Which really is a hard boiled egg covered in a single root called cassava. After we fried up these tuber balls and were sitting down to devour them Tony said, "Sara, you cook like a hobbit and it's awesome" which then turned these tuber balls into hobbit balls. This also got us thinking, "what else have we cooked that's been inspired through the use of local ingredients and cuisine?" From this our blog was born. But if you're actually looking for foods that hobbits eat you won't find them here. But we do hope you enjoy our creations!

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Creamy Calaloo & Sweet Potato Hash Brown

I really want to make yummy food with the fruits, vegetables, and ingredients found in Guyana. With that being said, I tried to tackle calaloo yet again. I'm pretty sure it comes from the spinach family, although, in my opinion, regular spinach is much better. I had the idea to make creamy calaloo by using milk when cooking the calaloo.

So this is what I did:
Bought 2 steams of calaloo and cut the leaves and placed in the kahari with a little water to steam. Once it started to wilt I drained the water and added milk (just a little, maybe 1/2 cup) to the calaloo and brought to a boil, added garlic, onion and ginger. It was a little too watery still so I added chunks of pumpkin.
It was yummy and I thought it would be good over pasta or with roti however, I was not really hungry after I made it so I put it in the fridge to eat the next day.

I knew I was going to make sweet potato hash brown and scrambled eggs for breakfast but then I remembered my creamy calaloo!
So I made sweet potato hash browns topped with the creamy calaloo. It was so good.
I grated 1/2 of a sweet potato and because I love pumpkin I grated a small piece of pumpkin and mixed with the sweet potato.
I heated my tawa with a little margarine and placed the sweet potato/pumpkin stack, I love the sizzling sound it made.
In my kahari I heated up the creamy calaloo and scrambled one egg. I placed this on top of my hash brown.
Sorry the picture is a little blurry

I definitely want to make more things with calaloo, after all it's full of folic acid and iron!

~Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment