Why hobbit food you ask?

Have you ever wondered what hobbits eat? This question never occurred to us until one Sunday night where we used left over boiled, mashed up tubers to cover a hard boiled egg. We took this concept from a Guyanese dish known as Egg Ball. Which really is a hard boiled egg covered in a single root called cassava. After we fried up these tuber balls and were sitting down to devour them Tony said, "Sara, you cook like a hobbit and it's awesome" which then turned these tuber balls into hobbit balls. This also got us thinking, "what else have we cooked that's been inspired through the use of local ingredients and cuisine?" From this our blog was born. But if you're actually looking for foods that hobbits eat you won't find them here. But we do hope you enjoy our creations!

Thursday, November 4, 2010

"Pone"

There's this yummy, delicious treat here in Guyana known as Pone (whenever I say it people look at me like I'm speaking the most foreign language, that also happens when I say "pawpaw").
Anyway, It's this sweet, spicy, gooey, bread type thing, BUT, it's not made with any flour. When I found out it's just casava, coconut, butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, sugar, and black pepper (Yes black pepper, that's the kicker!) I was dying to try my hand at it.
I went out and bought all the ingredients and was so excited for get crackin'...



Here's my list of ingredients:
1 lb Cassava
1/2 coconut
1 egg (not sure if an egg is really necessary?)
Cinnamon
Nutmeg
Black pepper
Butter (maybe I used 1/2 cup?)
1 tsp vanilla

*Grate coconut & cassava, place in a big bowl
*Add all other ingredients, sorry I didn't measure the spices (this was not as peppery as the 'real' one I had) maybe add a little to begin and taste to see if you like it and add as necessary. You should taste the cinnamon and nutmeg more than the pepper but you definitely want to be able to taste the pepper.


Ok, now the difficult part (for me anyways) since we don't have an oven I just figured I could "bake" it on the tawa, I was wrong! They came out like sweet, cinnamon hash browns, I'm not saying they are bad, I actually think they taste good but they are very far from the bread type of pone that the locals make. I don't know what I did wrong, besides not having an oven...
So if anyone out there knows about pone or tries this in an oven can you please let help me out?!



I think I need to watch someone who knows what they are doing make this before I try it again. But at least I know what's for breakfast tomorrow!

~Sara

Update:
I found a Guyanese recipe for pone. The only thing I did wrong was not beat the egg first and I didn't use an oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment