Why hobbit food you ask?

Have you ever wondered what hobbits eat? This question never occurred to us until one Sunday night where we used left over boiled, mashed up tubers to cover a hard boiled egg. We took this concept from a Guyanese dish known as Egg Ball. Which really is a hard boiled egg covered in a single root called cassava. After we fried up these tuber balls and were sitting down to devour them Tony said, "Sara, you cook like a hobbit and it's awesome" which then turned these tuber balls into hobbit balls. This also got us thinking, "what else have we cooked that's been inspired through the use of local ingredients and cuisine?" From this our blog was born. But if you're actually looking for foods that hobbits eat you won't find them here. But we do hope you enjoy our creations!

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Crazy Rice

It's been way TOO long...we've still been cooking creatively and have recipes to share!
It's Sara here, and I wanted to post this recipe for my family...my other teammates have not tried this interesting dish but trust me they will. I seem to get a little crazy when I cook for myself...you know, boiled plantains, pumpkin, and coconut! I was indeed quite pleased with the end result. If anyone tries this one I would be interested in knowing how it turned out and if any modifications were used.

Rice

Black Beans

Grated pumpkin (or any squash)

Grated carrot

Green onion

Bora (string or green bean)

Boiled plantains (cut in 1’ rounds, boil until soft and bright yellow)

Garlic

Olive oil

Cumin powder

**Pineapple


Cook beans and rice. *You can cook rice in coconut milk (a Guyanese way known as Shine Rice) instead of water, so how ever much rice you are cooking use the water measurement for the coconut milk.

Sorry I don’t measure!

Sauté garlic in olive oil add veggies mix well then add in beans and rice add little cumin or other spices to taste

**Top with pineapple if you prefer


Happy Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment